Monday, September 12, 2011

"Let's roll..."

This is the first weekend in a long time that we’ve been pretty busy and I could tell it was wearing on Jeremy yesterday afternoon. I wanted to go kayaking but decided to hang out at the house since some rest and relaxation was in order. 

We watched the two hour 9/11 special on National Geographic, and while I’m not a huge history buff by any means, I was enthralled with the program and it really spoke to me. I can’t believe it’s been ONLY 10 years since one of our nation’s biggest tragedies, it seems like it’s been a lot longer than that. I was 14 years old when it happened, walking into my first block class and Eric told me that a plane hit a building in NY. We walked into Coach Moore’s Social Studies class and sat in silence and watched everything unfold. I’ll never forget watching the second plane hit the other tower, we were all in shock. The local news said they were evacuating the Bank of America in Charlotte, so I did know that my Dad would be safe. 


As we watched the show, J started talking about how proud he was of the passengers on Flight 93 and how if a situation like that every happened to him he would do the exact same thing. I wasn’t really shocked when he said it; I know for sure that he would do what those men did, die trying to save other people. Holy cow though, that would be so hard. To not have your husband anymore but to know he died trying to save others and himself. I teared up as we watched the widows of the three men who stormed the cabin of 93 talk about the last conversations they had with their husbands. One of them said after one of the calls with her husband she went and threw up. One of the other ladies said, her husband call her and he told her loved her and tell the baby (who was only 4 months) how much he loved her too and that they were going to storm the cabin for her to hang on the phone and as he put it down she heard him say ‘Let’s roll…’ I can’t even imagine going through something like that but when I try I get choked up.

1 comment:

  1. Seriously...Jake and I were watching a special last night on the fire fighter first responders and it still makes me tear up. It's crazy what they went through, and are still dealing with.

    ReplyDelete